• 1. Do I need to do an IELTS Test? If so, which kind (Academic or General)?

    Most colleges and universities require proof of English proficiency as part of their admissions process. If your selected school requires an English language proficiency test such as IELTS, the Academic IELTS will fulfill this requirement.

  • 2. What score should I get for my IELTS?

    Minimum over-all IELTS score can range from 5.0-8.0, depending on your school, degree and program. You should check your selected school’s admission requirements or speak to your Maple Study Services Representative to find out the minimum over-all and band score to be admitted to the program. If you plan to apply under the Student Direct Stream (SDS), an IELTS score of 6.0 will be required.

  • 3. Do I need to get my education assessed before I apply?

    This will depend on the school that you select and will be dependent on your selected school’s admission requirements. It is recommended that you have an education assessment completed but this will usually be required once you decide on a program.

  • 4. How long is the program?

    The duration will vary depending on your choice of program. It can range from 1 to 5 years. It would be wise to do some research into the study program that will support your personal and professional goals. To qualify for a Postgraduation Work Permit, you should study full-time for at least 8 months at a qualified Designated Learning Institution (DLI).

  • 5. What is the tuition price?

    According to 2017/2018 data from Statistics Canada, the average annual tuition fees for international undergraduate students at a university is $25,180 while average tuition fees for international students in post graduate certificate programs or college level programs is at $16,252. Websites for learning institutions would contain information about tuition and other miscellaneous expenses.

  • 6. Can my spouse and children accompany me while I study?

    Full-time international students are eligible to bring their spouse or common-law partner and minor children when they come to Canada for study. For the application to be approved, you will have to demonstrate that you have sufficient funds to support your family’s living expenses as well as provide medical and police checks for members of the family. The decision to bring the family, however, must be made taking into consideration the financial implications, accommodation, childcare and schooling needs of the family while in Canada.

  • 7. Can my spouse also work while I am studying?

    Your spouse may qualify for an open work permit if you are a full-time student holding a valid study permit. Under this open work permit, your spouse can be employed full-time with any employer and is valid for the same period of time as your study permit.

  • 8.Can my children study for free? Do they also need a study permit?

    School-aged minor children of international students may attend pre-school, primary, or secondary levels for free without a study permit. Once the child reaches the age of majority, he or she must apply for a study permit to continue their studies in Canada.

  • 9. What are some of the basic costs and expenses that I should account for when planning my studies abroad in Canada?

    The amount represents an average estimate of the costs associated with studying in Canada. Amounts will vary depending on your choice of school, lifestyle, and number of accompanying family members.



    Tuition Fees and other school expenses$16,500.00 (average)
    Living expenses 
    Accompanying Family Member$4,000.00
    Every Additional Family Member$3,000.00
    AirfareVarious Pricing
    Government FeesDepends on your family

  • 10. How can I get a Postgraduate Work Permit (PGWP)?

    Full-time international students who graduate from certain programs in Designated Learning Institutions may stay in Canada to work through a Postgraduate Work Permit (PGWP). The validity of the PGWP may be from eight months to three years, depending on the length of the completed study program.

  • 11. Is the Student Direct Stream (SDS) better than the regular stream?

    The Student Direct Stream (SDS) is a recently launched program to improve processing times for student applications. Legal residents from China, Vietnam, India and the Philippines can benefit from faster processing times if they can prove that they have the financial resources and language skills to succeed academically in Canada. Under the SDS, applicants need to purchase a Guaranteed Investment Certificate (GIC) of $10,000 and obtain an IELTS score of 6.0 on top of the existing requirements for study permit.

  • 12. Will I be guaranteed a job after I complete my studies?

    Generally, programs do not offer students jobs once they complete the program. It would be important to note that there are job searching resources, career building courses, internships and networking made available to students at the school to equip students with necessary skills for entry into the workforce. Part-time and volunteer work are also good ways to find full-time employment once you complete your studies. Maple Study Services will also support our clients with job opportunities in certain circumstances. Ask your representative for more details.

  • 13. Can I work part-time during the course of my studies?

    Full-time international students are allowed to work off-campus part-time up to 20 hours a week, and full-time during regular school breaks.

  • 14. Is it easy to find part-time jobs?

    There is an abundance of jobs available to support you during your studies but it will boil down to how your skills and experience match job openings. There are online job boards where you can search possible jobs available in your field of interest.

  • 15. When are the application periods? When is the latest I can apply?

    Once you choose a school, college or university, you must apply following your selected school’s admissions procedures and deadlines. School intakes are usually in September (Fall) and January (Winter), while some programs also admit students in May (Summer). To ensure you secure a slot in your desired program, allow enough time for processing of your study permit, and ensure smooth transition and settlement into Canada, it would be best to apply a year in advance. It is important to do your research so that you did not miss out on critical dates in the academic calendar.

  • 16. Is there an age requirement?

    You can study in Canada at any age as long as you are accepted by a Designated Learning Institution and are able to fulfill all other requirements for your study permit.

  • 17. Am I allowed to change my school or program? How will it affect my current study permit?

    Your current study permit can still be used in any school or program during its validity period. Post-secondary students who wish to change their school/DLI, program, field or level of study do not need to apply to change conditions of the study permit. The only requirement is to notify the IRCC online of the changes in DLI.

  • 18. Am I allowed to travel outside of Canada or return home during my studies?

    Yes, you may travel outside of Canada while on a study permit. Before travelling, you need to have your documents in order and ensure that your passport, study permit/TRV are valid and other relevant travel documents will not expire while you are abroad.

  • 19. What is my pathway to becoming a permanent resident if I go as an international student

    Through studying in Canada, you will have obtained Canadian education that can help you qualify for various permanent resident programs. The most common pathways for international students would be Federal Skilled Worker Program, Federal Skilled Trades Program and Canadian Experience class. These programs differ in requirements for skills, education, work experience. Your personal circumstances need to be analyzed against the existing program requirements to determine the most appropriate pathway for you, and this can be done by an Authorized Immigration Representative.

  • 20. What is the value of getting professional advice for my study application?

    Studying abroad is a big decision. With the time and resources that go into this endeavour, you will want this investment on yourself to support your long-term personal and career goals. Our team of dedicated staff will help you find a suitable pathway that is aligned with your profile, interests and skills and help you succeed in your life in Canada.

    With Maple Study Services, you can expect to:

    • Find study options that match your interests, skills and aspirations
    • Benefit from an organized approach to preparing and submitting all the needed documents for your application
    • Partner with professionals who understand your needs as a newcomer to Canada
    • Receive ongoing support and assistance in every step of the process from profile review to settlement in Canada


Schedule Appointment

Speak with an Immigration Professional TODAY & get all of your questions answered!